Pernell Whitaker was born on January 2, 1964, and he is an American professional boxer and four-weight world champion. On July 14, 2019, Whitaker was crossing the street in Virginia Beach, at the intersection of Northampton Boulevard and Baker Road, when he was struck and killed by a vehicle.
Pernell Whitaker Wife
Pernell married Rovanda Anthony on December 21, 1985, in the boxing ring at the Virginia Beach Pavilion Convention Center. The couple later divorced. They had four children together: Dominique, the late Pernell Jr., Dantavious, and Devon. Whitaker also had a daughter, Tiara, from a prior relationship.
Their son Pernell, born on October 5, 1984, sadly passed away at the age of 31, in September 2015 after a battle with cancer.
Pernell Whitaker Family
He is the son of Raymond Whitaker (father) and Novella Whitaker (mother) and has a sister named Zelda Brown.
In 2014, Whitaker evicted his 73-year-old mother from a house he bought for her shortly after turning pro, ABC News reported. According to the report, back taxes were owed on the house and Whitaker, no longer making pro boxing money, was forced to sell the home to satisfy the tax debt, according to his lawyers.
Zelda Brown Speaking outside a courthouse after a ruling to evict his mother “He’ll be a son forever until death does us part, but he is putting a rip through the family.”
Also Read: Hannah Brown
Pernell Whitaker Age
How old is he? was born on January 2, 1964, and from Norfolk, Virginia, the U.S and he is 56 years old as of 2019.
As a youngster, Whitaker was known to friends and family as “Pete” and when he began to emerge as a top amateur, fans in his hometown of Norfolk used to serenade him with chants of “Sweet Pete.” This was misinterpreted by a local sportswriter as “Sweet Pea.” When this erroneous report came out in the local newspaper, the new nickname stuck.
Whitaker was convicted of cocaine possession in 2002 after he violated the terms of a previous sentence by overdosing on cocaine.
Pernell Whitaker Career
- He was a four-weight world champion, having won titles at lightweight, light welterweight, welterweight, and light middleweight; the undisputed lightweight title; and the lineal lightweight and welterweight titles.
- In 1989, Whitaker was named Fighter of the Year by The Ring magazine and the Boxing Writers Association of America.
From 1993 to 1997, The Ring ranked him as the best active boxer in the world, pound for pound.
- He currently holds the longest unified lightweight championship reign in boxing history at 6 title defenses.
- Whitaker won a silver medal in the lightweight division at the 1982 World Championships, followed by gold at the 1983 Pan American Games and 1984 Olympics.
- After his retirement in 2001, Whitaker returned to the sport as a trainer. In 2002, The Ring ranked him tenth in their list of “The 100 Greatest Fighters of the Last 80 Years”.
- In 2006, Whitaker was inducted into the International Boxing Hall of Fame, in his first year of eligibility.
Pernell Whitaker Net Worth
Estimated Net Worth of him is $ 10 Million USD as of 2019.